Thursday, May 5, 2011

Out Of Season Tumbling

What is it about the end of a season that makes someone feel as if they can do absolutely anything? During the season, I struggled with the thought of a handspring-handspring-double. However, only yesterday did I return to the gym after the season had ended, and I threw my first front through to arabian through to double. I don't know what happened there, but it was landed, and I'm working on that now. Soon after that, I began working on whips. Not before the end of the night did I land a whip-double, which I had not done since the end of the season before the previous one. I was so excited that I decided to try another nostalgic pass. I tried a hangspring-double the first time, but did not land clean and touched down. Moving on to the next one, I tried it again, and landed it extremely clean.

Yesterday, I was in the gym with my coach and he saw that I had landed whip doubles majority of the time. It wasn't long after that that I threw another handspring-double and landed it clean again. He called me over and told me to try something that I would not dare try by my own thoughts. He wanted me to go for a handspring-whip-double. I was a little baffled at the time and surprised, but then I went for a handspring-whip-tuck for a timer, and realized I had more than enough height to land it. The next time I took the corner, I went for a handspring whip double, and landed it clean. I don't know why this always happens before every season, but I'm glad it did this time.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing flips dude. I really wish I could do those sort of gymnastics.. but I can't so I'll just watch you :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to get into gymnastics. None of the gymnasiums in my area offer classes for adults however. I've considered taking advantage of my college facilities to teach myself though. I'm a pole vaulter, and our facility shares similar equipment to most gymnastic schools. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with your brand new blog!

    ReplyDelete